CCS Smart Pads™ Dual Action Polisher Guide
Learn how to correct paint flaws, polish and wax your vehicle using the Porter Cable 7424XP and CCS Smart Pads™ by Lake Country. Our Lake Country Dual Action Polishing Guide details the process of swirl removal, polishing, and finishing using the most popular pads by Lake Country.
The techniques described here will also work for the FLEX XC3401 VRG Orbital Polisher. This polisher comes with its own specific backing plate, which can be used with any of the pads you see here.What accessories do I need?
For the Porter Cable 7424XP, you will need a backing plate in order to attach the foam pads onto your polisher. The backing plate has a Velcro brand hook & loop fasteners on the bottom of it to hold foam pads in place as you polish. You will see it described simply as "hook & loop" on pads and backing plates with this feature.
Backing plates for the Porter Cable 7424XP are available in three sizes:
Dual Action 5 inch Flexible Hook & Loop Backing Plate: Use this plate with 5.5 inch and 6.5 inch pads.
Dual Action 6 inch Hook & Loop Flexible Backing Plate: Use this plate with 6.5 inch and 7.5 inch pads.
Dual Action 3.5 inch Hook & Loop Flexible Backing Plate: Use this plate with 4 inch pads.
Note: We recommend using a 5 inch backing plate with 6.5 inch pads to leave a larger margin of foam between the plate and the edge of the pad. This bigger margin of error protects the vehicle from unintentional impact with the backing plate.
|Smart Foam Pad Varieties:
How do I polish out swirls and scratches?
The following is a general guide to polishing. It will take you from compounding to polishing to finishing. If your paint problems do not require compounding, skip to polishing. If you’re not sure, start with polishing. Always take the least aggressive approach first! If you don’t get the desired results from polishing, then use a swirl remover and light cutting pad.
The pads pictured at
the beginning of each section indicate what pads can be used to perform the
I. Swirl Removal
Swirl removers can range from light to heavy. Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0 is designed to work on a broad range of imperfections to eliminate the need for multiple products.
1. In the picture to the right, this is a serious case of swirls. Choose an orange light cutting pad and Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0.
2. Apply a circle of swirl remover around the edge of the pad. Some will say apply a quarter size amount. You can even apply it directly to the paint. Ultimately you're going to spread it around so how the swirl remover gets on the paint is up to you. Spread the swirl remover over a small section (about 2 x 2 sq. ft.) with the polisher turned off to prevent sling.
3. Set the maximum speed on the polisher at 5. Turn the polisher on and work the swirl remover in a side to side, overlapping motion. Move slowly to give the abrasives time to work.
NOTE: The Porter Cable tells you if you're applying too much pressure. The pad will stop rotating. Lighten up on the machine and let it do the work for you.
4. When the swirl remover turns to a transparent film, the abrasives have broken down. Turn off the machine and lift it off the paint. Buff away the residue with a soft, Cobra Microfiber Towel and inspect your results. If you are not satisfied, repeat the process. If you still see no results, upgrade to the yellow cutting pad.
* A light haze or dullness is normal. The next step will restore the gloss.
Polishing improves the smoothness and gloss of the paint. Use Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0 if you’ve just compounded or if the paint just needs a boost in gloss.
2. Set the maximum speed to about 4.5. You're not trying to cut. You're just trying to burnish the paint to a high gloss. Work in a side to side, overlapping motion until the polish turns clear.
3. Buff with a Cobra Microfiber Towel and check your results. If you can still see some haze, repeat the process. This time, be sure that the abrasives are fully broken down before you buff.
You're nearing the finish line. Just one more step will make your vehicle glow.
To lock in the shine, follow up with Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0.
1. Attach a gray or blue pad to your polisher. Apply the product to the paint or to the pad. Spread it around the paint in a 2 x 2 sq. ft. section with the polisher turned off.
2. Set the maximum speed to 3 or 4. You do not need speed to apply nonabrasive products. Spread the product over the paint until it is sufficiently covered. There are no abrasives to break down. You are just trying to get even coverage. Apply Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 to the entire vehicle.
3. Allow Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 to set for 30-45 minutes. Buff off the product with a Cobra Microfiber Towel or slip a Microfiber Bonnet over an unused pad. The bonnet is like having a microfiber towel on your polisher. Just be sure to put the bonnet over a clean pad so no products will seep through the bonnet.
4. Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 will need to cure for 12 hours before being exposed to moisture.
Foam & Wool Pad CleaningThe easiest way to clean your foam and wool pads is to drop them in pad cleaner while they are still wet with polish or wax. Dried products are more difficult to remove from the pads. To do this, mix up a bucket of water and Wolfgang Polishing Pad Rejuvenator at the start of your detailing session. As you finish using each pad, drop it in the cleaning solution to soak. When you are finished with your detail, use the Foam Pad Conditioning Brush to agitate the pads. Then rinse the pads and lay out to dry.
Note: Dry pads with the hook and loop backing facing up so water drains away from it. Standing water on the backing material could eventually cause separation.
When your clean pads are dry, put them in a sealable plastic bag or container to keep them free of dust until their next use.
Fast, friendly service. Highest quality products available anywhere! Completely satisfied I recommend Wolfgang. There was no put on hold to speak to knowledgeable Sales Rep for advice who understood clearly what is in their complete product line and was very helpful. Truly German American Technology at it's finest. Thanks Wolfgang - Jay, G.